Sunday, 19 November 2023

Verses of Transformation: Rereading Emily Dickinson

~  When I was 26, and as I approach 29.

I used to read Emily Dickinson particularly finding fascination in her poem "I'm nobody! Who are you? Are you nobody too?." Reciting the verses became a ritual, each time exploring varied meanings. I even entertained the notion of embracing the identity of a nobody, romantically weaving thoughts of not being a somebody. Yet, I couldn't help but wonder if such musings were born from the complexities of our modern existence, perhaps even hinting at a state of introspective contemplation akin to a schizophrenic episode. A schizophrenic state of being that modernity has offered? In the pages of my diary, I penned down these reflections (when I was 26), a dance between the allure of being a nobody and the complexities of our contemporary world.


"No grandeur required, no extravagant facade

No need to stand out in a crowded crowd

No need to be odd

To be nobody or not to be somebody,

a timeless art you see."


As I approach my 29th birthday, my perspective has evolved. The concept of being a "nobody," detached from various aspects, prompts contemplation. It raises the question of who can afford the luxury of being a nobody, devoid of many concerns. Living as a nobody seems to demand a certain privilege and capital, highlighting the complexities of being anonymous. This raises questions about the inherent socio-economic factors that influence one's ability to lead a life unconstrained by external pressures. The ease of being a nobody is intricately tied to the resources and opportunities one possesses, shedding light on the complex interplay between identity, privilege, and societal expectations.


Let me rephrase Now.


I’m Somebody! Who are you?

Are you – Somebody – too?

No comments:

Post a Comment