Did the writings of Dostoevsky and Albert Camus evoke emotional responses within you, and if they did, how long did those emotional reactions last, spanning from three days, four days, or even a week? Why do the writings of Kafka and Plath evoke sensations akin to the experience of drowning in a vast sea? I acknowledge that these questions are highly subjective and can vary from person to person.
Last month, reading Vikram Seth's poetry collection 'All you who sleep tonight' moved me to tears, albeit in a distinct manner. Is it reasons of the 'other' or collective reasons or reasons of the individuals (personal) that lead more to sorrow? When the Lord's prayer encourages us to contemplate using "Our-us" instead of "Mine/you" binary, what lead us to place greater emphasis on individual factors/reasons? Can I, this time too, put blame on postmodernism and capitalism? Or Is this a condition deemed absurd, like Camus says? Tell me..
Well.. "Metamorphosis" had been gathering dust in my secondhand book cabinet for quite some time, and I hesitated to dive into Gregor's tale. However, in May, I finally began to read it, but I kept finding myself shutting the book after only a few sentences, often for days or even weeks. This novella evoked extreme emotions in me; be it sobriety, panic, grief, agony, numbness, or hopelessness. What should have been a quick read turned into my longest literary journey (around 70 pages), taking approximately five months to complete. Therefore, I won't provide a review this time, as I believe I lack the authority to judge Franz's emotions. Could it be that I, too, am a Franz Kafka, considering the diverse (spatio-temporal) yet similar realities we inhabit???
M🦋
No comments:
Post a Comment